The Costco Experience- Big Island Style

Home Forums The Costco Experience- Big Island Style

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      John
      Keymaster

As a new member of this website, I hope you don’t mind if I offer up a brief testimonial about my Costco experience.  I used to be a Costco member about 7 years ago, but after I divorced, I let my membership lapse.  Recently, I became reintroduced to the fun of Costco through a friend.  It made me want to rejoin the ranks of happy Costco shoppers who are getting great deals on great products.

My bed was 10 years old and uncomfortable, so I wanted a new one.  I checked Costco online and found they had very affordable prices on a variety of mattresses.  But, Costco doesn’t ship most online items to Hawaii shoppers.  This is probably due to the costs of shipping to the middle of the Pacific Ocean.  So the only way I could get a new bed from Costco was to drive to the store.  For most people, this isn’t a big deal, but on the Big Island there is only one Costco.  It’s in Kailua-Kona, on the other side of the island from where I live, 100 miles away.  After looking at beds in the local stores, I decided it was time to make the trip to Kona and become a member of Costco once again.

As a new member of this website, I hope you don’t mind if I offer up a brief testimonial about my Costco experience.  I used to be a Costco member about 7 years ago, but after I divorced, I let my membership lapse.  Recently, I became reintroduced to the fun of Costco through a friend.  It made me want to rejoin the ranks of happy Costco shoppers who are getting great deals on great products.

My bed was 10 years old and uncomfortable, so I wanted a new one.  I checked Costco online and found they had very affordable prices on a variety of mattresses.  But, Costco doesn’t ship most online items to Hawaii shoppers.  This is probably due to the costs of shipping to the middle of the Pacific Ocean.  So the only way I could get a new bed from Costco was to drive to the store.  For most people, this isn’t a big deal, but on the Big Island there is only one Costco.  It’s in Kailua-Kona, on the other side of the island from where I live, 100 miles away.  After looking at beds in the local stores, I decided it was time to make the trip to Kona and become a member of Costco once again.

It was totally worth the two-hour (each way!) drive.  Signing up for membership was easy and pleasant.  I even received a cool tote bag for signing up.  Straight away, I could save money on some purchases because they gave me a coupon booklet.  I was disappointed to find, however, that Hawaii members cannot take advantage of the online coupon deals, especially because one of the coupons was a discount on a mattress.  But I found the mattress I was looking for and some other great deals in the process.  I spent about 3 hours going through every aisle, looking at every item.  I was like the kid in the candy shop. 

After making my purchases, a friendly gentleman helped me load my new memory foam mattress into the back of my car.  Costco customers are as friendly as the staff!  Finally, I treated myself to a hot dog and a sundae – yum!  My shopping day at Costco was a very fun experience.  The products I purchased are all high quality, and the mattress is even eco-friendly and made in the USA.  When I checked the online price of the mattress I purchased, it was a pleasant surprise to discover that my cost was almost the same!  I am convinced that Costco is one of the best places to shop in the USA. 

Aloha!

john

Thank you, it’s a fun story.
      Very interesting… Costco in Hawaii.
      I just bought a mattress also. I also bought that Jack LeLanne’s Power Juicer (last month).

Apply for American Express card if you can.
      They give you 3% cash back for gas & eating out (2% on traveling, 1% on rest). So I am going to use Costco American Express card exclusively for 1 year and see how much money back I get.

I should share that story with everyone.

Aloha from California.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.