Shopping for Tires

Home Forums Shopping for Tires

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      John
      Keymaster

First, about my car…

Make, model: 2002 Toyota Camry LE
      Purchased: 2004 (bought used, 2 years old).
      Finance: $12,500.00 total price – paid off in 1 year.
      Problems: none

###

I went to Firestone to get oil change, wheel balance, & wheel alignment.  I was 2k miles over-due on oil change.

The mechanic refused to do wheel balance because my tires where too old.  I agree with them.  I have 82,500 miles on my car and tires were never replaced.  Firestone also recommended that I get a new battery.  Also, one of my tires had a nail.  Again, they refused to repair the puncture because the tire is not repairable.  I agree with them on that also.  I got all I can get out of these tires.

My Camry is wonderful.  I have been doing nothing but oil change for last 4 years.  I had absolutely no major issues.  I used to drive a European car.  I also drove an American convertible.  Switching to Toyota was a smart move.  I may look boring, but I save money.  And it’s pretty reliable.

So, here is my new project.  

"Shopping for Tires"

December 30, 2008

I ordered 4 tires from Costco. 

First, about my car…

Make, model: 2002 Toyota Camry LE
      Purchased: 2004 (bought used, 2 years old).
      Finance: $12,500.00 total price – paid off in 1 year.
      Problems: none

###

I went to Firestone to get oil change, wheel balance, & wheel alignment.  I was 2k miles over-due on oil change.

The mechanic refused to do wheel balance because my tires where too old.  I agree with them.  I have 82,500 miles on my car and tires were never replaced.  Firestone also recommended that I get a new battery.  Also, one of my tires had a nail.  Again, they refused to repair the puncture because the tire is not repairable.  I agree with them on that also.  I got all I can get out of these tires.

My Camry is wonderful.  I have been doing nothing but oil change for last 4 years.  I had absolutely no major issues.  I used to drive a European car.  I also drove an American convertible.  Switching to Toyota was a smart move.  I may look boring, but I save money.  And it’s pretty reliable.

So, here is my new project.  

"Shopping for Tires"

December 30, 2008

I ordered 4 tires from Costco. 

1. I went to Costco website and searched for "Tires".
        • I was sent to Costco Tire Center homepage
      2. On the Tire Center homepage, they had a tire finding tool.
        • I selected year, make, model, & option.
      3. It gave me 13 brand name tires for me to chose from
      4. I picked the cheapest tire available
        • Tires purchased:
          BFGoodrich – Traction T/A
        • Total price for 4 tires (out the door):  $368.71
      5. Let me give you an example
           Costco  XXX Tire store
         Out the door price $368.71 $372.95
         Treadweare 620 500
         Warranty 70,000 45,000 
         Maker BFGoodrich  Falken
        • As you can see, you definitely get good deal at Costco 24/7. I did comparison shopping just to prove my point.  You really don’t have to worry if you will get good tires at good price.  When it comes to tires, don’t worry about sales or coupons.  Just go to Costco.com and order your tires.
        • * Treadwear – hire number is better
      6. When I was ordering tires, it asked me where I am going to have them installed.  I clicked Oxnard, California.
      7. I received an order confirmation email.

December 31, 2008

1. Received a shipping notification email. 
        • Delivery will take 5-10 days, it says.

January 1, 2009

• I checked the shipping status.  They haven’t shipped the tires. This is perfectly understandable.  Today is new years day. It’s a holiday season.
      • I went to my parents’ house in the Valley (45 miles away) for a dinner.  I still have a nail stuck in my tire.  I live dangerously.

January 2, 2009

• UPS tracking page shows delivery date of January 5 (Monday)
      • I hope to get my tires replaced on January 6 (Tuesday). 

January 5, 2009

• I checked UPS website – Tires were delivered to Oxnard Costco Tire Center.
        • I never received any email or  phone call from Costco about arrival of the tires.  I guess if you are savvy enough to order tires online, you should be savvy enough to check delivery status on your own.
      • I called Costco to see how busy they were.
        • Today turned out to be one of the busiest days ($70.00 off on Michelin tires started today)
        • They recommended me to drop by tomorrow so they can take care of me in about 1 hour.  there was 3 hours waiting time today.
        • I had to get my tires done ASAP.  So I went, waited 3 hours and got my tires.  Hew~!
      • I also picked up a battery for my Camry. 
        • Costco doesn’t install batteries. 
          • You must install on your own and bring back your old battery for $9.00 refund.

January 6, 2009

• Went back to Firestone for wheel alignment & battery installation
        • The mechanic asked "why didn’t you buy tires from us?".  "Costco" I replied. 

January 7, 2009

• I felt like driving today (to test out my new tires).  So, naturally, I drove to Costco.  I turned in my old battery and received $9.00 (plus tax).

###

More coming…

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.