Shopping for Internet

Home Forums Shopping for Internet

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      John
      Keymaster

(Project Completed) 

My 1 year commitment on internet service is coming to an end.  So, I may have to switch internet service.  I currently have Verizon FIOS connection that I pay introductory discount.  I need fast internet because I do a lot of work online.  I am happy with Verizon FIOS (as long as I don’t have to call them for service).  Once you are hooked up with them, service is rock solid.

Original Plan:

(Project Completed) 

My 1 year commitment on internet service is coming to an end.  So, I may have to switch internet service.  I currently have Verizon FIOS connection that I pay introductory discount.  I need fast internet because I do a lot of work online.  I am happy with Verizon FIOS (as long as I don’t have to call them for service).  Once you are hooked up with them, service is rock solid.

Original Plan:

• Research what other kinds of internet services are out there in my area. 
      • Verizon if they will renew my special price for one more year (or beat competitor’s price).

Progress report

• February 16, 2009:
        • It’s been about three weeks since I added internet shopping on my to do list. 
        • The biggest challenge is that I am too lazy to make phone calls and compare prices.  It’s not easy.
        • I don’t feel the urgency of saving money on internet access.  This is bad. BAD, BAD….
        • I need to get in gear and make sure that I am not paying too much for internet access. 
      • March 18, 2009:
        • There was a Verizon event at our apartment.  Two ladies from Verizon set up a table and made sale pitches to everyone. They convinced me to commit to Verizon FIOS packages.
        • I will be paying $117.37/month (after tax) on telephone, internet, & cable TV.
        • This is about $10.00 less than what I pay right now.
          • Internet – Speed of my internet will double 
          • Cable TV – I will have a lot more channels then what I have right now.  I will get my TCM (Turner Classic Movie) back. Time Warner took away my TCM about 5 years ago (bastards..)
          • Telephone – I will have unlimited long distant calling.  I used to have no long distant package at all.Then I will receive $150.00 cash back.
        • I had to commit 1 year of service.  Price will be locked for 2 years.
        • Cable installation is scheduled for March 25.  I have a day off of March 25, so this is working out perfect.
        • I am satisfied about this package.  Let’s see what could go wrong. 
      • March 25, 2009:
        • FIOS Cable TV is installed today.
        • Everything went smooth.

I am blown away by the picture quality of FIOS.  I have an old style 27 inch Sony TV.  Picture quality is so amazing.  I can’t wait to get one of those flat screen TVs.  But, I am not buying any TVs until I buy a house.

– Project Completed –

Anonymous

You can save more money if you get a ooma telephone system from costco and drop the fios telephone service. In NY fios hd extreme tv and internet is less than $80 a month. omma is 229 plus 35 if you want to port your number. you would start saving $37 a month after 7 months.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.